Monday, August 13, 2007

A peek through the window

Hey Folks!

I have taken a peek through the window and I like what I see. I will most definitely regret saying this when the intensity of the course start to pile up. I am currently looking at the English legal system and as my course outline now calls it "Common law Reasoning and Institutions".

Blackstone isn't such a bad fellow to read. I have finished a brief scan of the introductory commentary. Most definitely need to revisit that in greater detail. I will not attempt to even discuss certain topics until I feel I have read sufficiently well to do so. However, it became rather clear that the reform of the House of Lords is highly necessary, I believe when there is a custom or way of doing something that was predicated on an existing social condition or circumstance which no longer exists, then revision must be given to that custom. Obviously, these nobles and peers were deemed to be more educated because duh!!! and no surprise here they were the class that had the wealth to access books and other materials as opposed to the meaner people of that society. In light of globalization and the access which poor and underprivileged persons have to education, that entire social condition has changed somewhat. In fact, do away with them I say! Off with their peerage!

There is a story I heard a while back about a daughter who grew up watching her mother prepare ham for the Christmas dinner every year. and every year her mother would cut off a huge chunk off one end of the ham and throw it away. And thus the tradition continued until her daughter asked her why she had to cut off that huge chunk and waste it... her natural reply was "that was the way my mother did it". The little girl decided to ask her grandmother why she did it, to which her grandma replied " the ham was too big for the baking pan I had back then". So you see, blindly following certain customs without an appreciation for their background can actually be wasteful. I welcome all comments and debates, if I am an idiot, I want to know now so that I can improve my lot in time for first year exams.

Peace out!

2 comments:

Emanicipated? said...

I think you are a brave woman...the task you are embarking upon will be tough....I say go for it though if anyone can it would be a Jamaican....I leave with a few motivators.....Marcus Garvey, Michael Lee Chin, the young pilot (forget his name), Bob Marley...Sista/Mama P. Go do us proud girl.

Reggae Barrister said...

Irving..that's the pilot. Thanks a lot....It's good to have people reading and sharing this experience with me. Hope you stay tuned.